Wednesday 30 May 2012

Close Encounters


Yesterday we drove out before sunset to set up a little table and camp chairs on a vast, empty plain and watch the sun go down while dining on leftover pasta. A wildebeest wandered in the middle distance.

We packed the hamper away when darkness fell and then got out the spotlight for a night drive. Sightings were few and far between until we rolled up to the edge of a small watering hole. The driver continued forward, having spotted some wading birds to the right and momentarily oblivious to the enormous rhino rising up in the spotlight dead ahead of us as it emerged from the water. I helpfully trilled ‘Rhi-nooooo!’ in a panicky falsetto to draw everyone’s attention to this sudden apparition, upon which the engine and spotlight which had been causing it annoyance were hurriedly shut down. Thankfully it lumbered off to one side instead of trying to impale the vehicle on its horn (my door being the closest to it).

My bladder and I were terrifically grateful to return to the safety of the house later that evening. But an hour later as I was luxuriating in the bath and adding a hot water top-up, I heard an ominous sound from outside. I turned off the tap and recognized the quite unmistakable sound of a lion roaring in the immediate vicinity. Had I been on my own, I would have locked myself in a cupboard. But I was emboldened by my bush-wise hosts to drag on a towel and follow them outside with a spotlight to look for the animal. The baboons in the surrounding trees were grunting their alarm calls. A huge male lion with a black mane was sighted just around the corner of the house, but not by me as I was hovering within dashing distance of the lounge door.

My dreams last night were troubled…


No comments:

Post a Comment