Saturday 24 December 2011

The Odyssey

That was the best flight I've ever had. We were an hour and fifteen minutes late in taking off because refueling is not allowed during an electrical storm. Then 2 of the 4 canisters of insecticide needed for the hold went missing and had to be found or the baggage would not be permitted to be unloaded at Heathrow.

We then took our place in the take-off queue behind 25 other aircraft. There was no in-flight entertainment, the food was the worst I've ever tasted on a plane (which is saying something), and when we landed the parking brake failed so we had to wait to be towed. The most-repeated phrase over the PA was 'Please bear with us...'

This was, however, all immaterial. Because due to a check-in fluke, I had a row of 4 EMPTY SEATS to myself. This was the closest I ever have, and undoubtedly ever will, come to business-class travel. I shall treasure the memory forever.

At my sister's house I was ready to luxuriate in a much needed-bath, but nobody mentioned that the timer on the immersion heater would allow only tepid water, rapidly cooling to a bracing absolute zero. So rather more on the 'endurance' than 'luxury' end of the bathing experience.

My brother-in-law has been stricken with a debilitating sinus infection, and my 18-month old nephew is having 'sleep issues', ie. shrieking his head off for an extended period when being put to bed. And then again in the middle of the night, resulting in all members of the household being sleep-deprived.

But the carrot, saucer of milk and mince pie have been set out for Father Christmas, so all is in readiness for the Big Day tomorrow. We are amped!

No comments:

Post a Comment