Sunday 18 December 2011

The Birds

It's been a serene and restful long weekend (apart from that bit when I had to go to work). Reading, present-wrapping and dining with friends have been the main activities. The general tranquility has, however, been a tiny bit marred by the local wildlife.

While buried in a book on the patio it dawned on me that for well over an hour, a mystery bird somewhere nearby had been twittering hysterically in a way that must have been causing great strain to its larynx: "AAAAKAaaakAaaakAaaakAAAAAKAaakAaaakAAAAKaaakAAAAK!!" Once I'd noticed the barrage there was no ignoring it.

I went out to look for the problem, and spotted a small Crested something-or-other flitting between trees and shrieking incessantly. Watching it for a while, I couldn't see any reason for it to be indulging in this behaviour, and my appearance on the scene did nothing to shut it up. Even a stick flying in its direction did not encourage it to move on.

Eventually I glanced at a section of wall partially hidden by leaves and saw the neighbour's evil yellow-eyed tabby cat draped along the top, surveying the scene regally as though staking out a baby warthog on the savannah. I can't reach the bird, but I can definitely get my hands on the cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment