Saturday 19 November 2011

Trouble in the hood

A couple of weeks ago, some new neighbours moved into the house on my left. I'm not sure of the exact number as they appear to be an ever-changing population. At least three adults and two children, I estimate.

Although the clan carried their possessions into the house in armfuls as opposed to neatly packed boxes, and one of the women sported a wailing baby strapped to her back with a towel, I tried not to give in to a faint sense of apprehension.

To their credit, they have kept a fairly low profile until now. Only some pungent cooking smells, penetratingly loud conversations, and muffled howling from the infant have given away their presence.

However. This morning I decided to eat a bowl of muesli on my patio. This position gave me a good view of the neighbours' kitchen door as a rather matronly-looking woman, completely naked from the waist up, stepped calmly out onto the back porch to take in the morning air. I can't help feeling that a line has been crossed...

How I miss that nice quiet brothel.

No comments:

Post a Comment